Friday, August 26, 2016

South Africa Reflections 4


General overview of week 4.

Not my favorite week.  Traveling back to Peoria was uncomfortable, sitting in the back of a car designed for two, sitting in  between two full grown men, stopping at places that I did not expect (which were amazing, but I did not adequately anticipate the cost of said stops, one costing me half my remaining Rand), made me feel a little less than comfortable.  Being confronted by our leaders, accused of something that I do not believe was true, told that I couldn’t drink because it was thought that it was a problem for me, not being given a chance to tell my side of the story, sleeping in a freezing train car on a wood matress, not having adequate restroom facilities for my needs, not being allowed to use the internet, and getting to Pretoria after a 6 hour drive that could have taken a lot less – was not what I envisioned for the trip.  Moreover, being treated like a ten year old was less than pleasing to me….

However, I was able to connect with Lesego, thusly fulfilling a promise that I made 3 years ago.  I enjoyed the evening with her because she is calming, helps me redirect my energy through Ubuntu, and we always seem to have grand adventures when we are together.  I appreciated that I was afforded the opportunity to meet with her, and I was able to flip the switch and shed the irritation that I was feeling about being singled out, not allowed to present the way I had intended, and being treated as a child. So I was good to go the next day.

Experiencing  the apartheid museum made me even more connected to South Africa, and made me want to continue in my research for ways that I could make a positive impact here.  I was happy to be reminded of my youth and my interaction and service to and with Bishop Desmond Tutu. Although it was difficult to watch and see the images of how ruthless men were to other men during apartheid (I was actually moved to tears, especially when I walked into a room that was playing the song Amazing Grace with images of Mandela strewn across a moving image wall), and I was impressed with the museum as a whole.  It was stunning, informative, and beautiful.  I wandered through the entire museum twice, and found that the museum could not be explored in its entirety in just one day. So I resolved to see it again when I return someday.  

Moving into the poverty stricken areas that led the way to Mandela’s home was worth seeing.  I was pleased to understand this aspect of South Africa a little bit more by seeing and experiencing with a first hand point of view.  It is easy to stay in the fun, 5 star areas… but you can not understand South Africa without understanding what’s really going on there.  The frustration people must feel is most likely unbearable.  And I have become even more convinced that in some way I may be able to help change things here.  But there are many problems, many issues that need to beresolved, and I will return in someday with a mission to interact with, and better understand these issues more directly, with my poeople, on my terms, and in my way… which is through working with others, in service to others, and with the message of a lion… Not above you, not below you… but WITH YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment