Friday, August 26, 2016

Eulogy for My Grandfather, as spoken by me.

Eulogy for my Grandfather 10-1-14


My grandfather was one of the most influential figures in my life.  Grandpa gave me more than money, more than gifts. More than love.  Grandpa gave me the spirit of entrepreneurship, the desire to fight for family, the knowledge that truth is always the best answer (even in sales), that integrity is the core foundation of business, that life is not about the answer, but the questioning of the status quo.  My grandfather was my single solitary biggest inspiration for how to start and run a business, and for how to learn from failure and never accept that just because something didn’t work out, doesn’t mean that it will never work out.  He taught me that the art of business extends into the art of patience.  And, I began learning all of this from Grandpa at an early age.  Here’s how he did it.
In life, Grandpa was always working… Sleeping in his home office for example, was both dedication to his work, and a welcome relief I suppose from Grandma’s snoring – although, I’m fairly certain, they woke each other up. 

As a child, I was treated to Grandpa’s expertise in entrepreneurship through farming.  I was lucky enough to ride with him during his visits to each ranch.  He would talk about grapes, grape sales, and teach me about how to deal with customers, clients and vendors, and we would walk out in the vineyards and inspect grapes, check on the status of vines that were both exceptional, and questionable.  And, during our trips into the field, Grandpa would show me how well he treated the lowest worker to the highest paid staff member.  And, he did this by treating everyone with respect from top to bottom, consistently across the board.  Know matter who you were, if he was talking to you, you knew you were number one.  And not just for that moment.  He thought, worked, and played about and with family, and in business, we were all his family.

If it seems like I’m talking to much about business, here’s why:

When I think of Grandpa, I have to admit to you how just how influential he was to me by telling you that I currently reside in Lake Tahoe because of our annual family pilgrimages to Club Tahoe.  The place has so much meaning to me that I currently live less than a block away from Club Tahoe.  I have a sort of spiritual connection to that exact place.  And here’s why.  The day I found out he was no longer with us, I just had to take a picture.  Of what?  Of the hole that still exists on the deck outside Club Tahoe Unit 38 which occurred when he burned a hole in it while BBQing with a hibachi.  Fun event.  But the thing is, the hole is still there!  They just covered it up with a piece of wood!  Don’t believe me?  I changed my FB profile picture to it.   But Tahoe and Grandpa combined have other meanings.
I remember, a time when my sister Nicole kind of jabbed Grandpa too hard while walking back from dinner, and how he stuffed her face in the snow which created a tremendous snowball fight.  I remember Grandpa telling me how bad the rain was during an el nino year and how much I secretly enjoyed the snow that resulted from it.  I remember meeting Grandma and Grandpa at the top of Squaw Valley for lunch, going to the Jacuzzi, playing pool, and I remember a time when grandpa played a little black jack after dinner one night, split aces, and won $1000 – which is to date the only $1000 bill I have ever seen.  Now, as an adult, I live, work and attend school as the only 40-year old student with a mission to earn a degree in both global business, and a minor in Ski resort management.  But, I’m doing these things in my life – because of my Grandfather’s foundation.  Because he always took time to say I love you with remarkable gifts like Lake Tahoe, educational experiences, and an endless supply of love.  And, because he laid the foundation for which I proudly hope to be at least ½ the man he was.

Integrity.  Honesty, and Love.  These were the core foundations from which I was educated by my grandfather.  And they were – to me – The mark of a good man.  The bible tells us that to truly be a man of God, one must be the following:  You must be:
Loving, Joyful, peaceful, patient, gentle, good, faithful, humble, and you must exercise self-control at all times. 
My grandfather was all of these things in all ways.  And, although I can talk about special occasions, fourth of July’s, my favorite Christmas gifts, or moments that were just he and I sitting alone in a vineyard talking about life… I choose not to.  I chose to say this instead.  That my grandfather, Keith Turner Ledbetter was – to re-coin a phrase my sister once used in an epic speech she gave that none of us will ever forget – Keith Turner Ledbetter was truly a remarkable man.

No comments:

Post a Comment